Werder Bremen have cancelled plans to play two end-of-season friendly matches in the United States in May, citing political concerns linked to activity by the country’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency as well as financial risk.
The Bundesliga club had been due to travel for fixtures in Minnesota and Detroit, with opponents not yet officially announced. A club representative told Reuters the decision was driven by “sporting, economic and political” factors.
“Playing in a city where there are riots and people are being shot does not fit with our values,” the representative said, adding that tighter visa requirements also created uncertainty over which players would be permitted to enter the country.
The statement followed reports of two fatal incidents involving ICE agents in Minnesota in January, with the shootings of Renee Good and Alex Prett prompting allegations of serious misuse of force.
Werder’s squad includes players from outside Europe, including Nigeria international Victor Boniface. The club also have full-back Felix Agu, who has represented Nigeria.
On the pitch, Werder are fighting to stay in the Bundesliga. They are 16th in the table, a position that would send them into a relegation play-off at the end of the season.
They have gone 12 league matches without a win and travel on Sunday to St. Pauli, the club of Estonia defender Karol Mets, with the Hamburg side two points behind.
Estonia goalkeeper Karl Jakob Hein joined Werder on loan in the summer but has made only two appearances so far. Academy product Mio Backhaus has started most matches, with Hein used as back-up.
Source: The Athletic